Thursday, May 1, 2008

Best of Art Bead Scene: Collaborations Explored

This post was originally posted on October 13th, 2007 by Melanie. Since this time, even more Collaboration Explorations hav ebeen done by the editors of Art Bead Scene, and it is one of our favorite offshoot ideas that has come out of working on ABS. We are looking for more Collaborators for the new year, so if you are interested, please post a comment!

Several of the editors here at Art Bead Scene have been busy collaborating with bead makers and designers on all sorts of exciting side projects lately!

One of the projects is called Collaboration Exploration, and is the idea of Cindy Gimbrone. This project involves two beadmakers working with a designer. All three get the same sets of beads from the two bead makers, and all three have to design jewelry or other crafts with those items. They do it secretly, and all reveal at the same time. It is an exciting surprise to see the different ways each has used the beads. Its a ton of fun!

Check out the Collaboration entries by these three artists, who used the same handcrafted enamelled components and lampwork beads:

Cindy Gimbrone

Bridgitte Tucker


Laura Bracken


Now check out the collaborations between these three artists, who used the same handmade porcelain and polymer beads:
Melanie Brooks Lukacs


The editors here are addicted to this fun process, so if you think you would like to collaborate in the future, either as a bead maker or a designer, please post a comment here. Let's explore!
Join us tomorrow for May's monthly challenge!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a fabulously creative idea! I would LOVE to collaborate as a designer. Thanks for the opportunity! I look forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I would love to collaborate with other artists!

Anonymous said...

I would love to participate as a designer as well! Collaborating with other artists is such an inspiring way to create. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved this posting and would enjoy the opportunity to collaborate with two other bead makers as I a designer.

I've worked with a couple of beading artists who contacted me to create designs using their beads so they could show unique creations utilizing their beads, it was such fun and they had free advertising as well!

Thanks so much ~ Sharon

Donna said...

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR LIST. I WOULD LOVE TO BE A COLLABORATOR!!!!(I'm shouting aren't I? I can't help it. This is a wonderful idea.) Donna

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea. I have been desiging jewelry for several years, would love to be the designer of something fabulous on your site!
Sherry

Cindy Gimbrone said...

YAY! I'm so happy to see so many designers want to participate! It's such a fun and creative process! Thanks for posting and signing up!

YAY for designers!!

Cindy

Patty said...

I'm a lampwork bead artist, and would love to participate in something like this. Great idea!

Patty Lakinsmith
www.pattylakinsmith.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

I would love to collaborate with Patty using on of her focal beads in a wire wrapped bracelet. :)
~Sharon
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manamoon/

Suzann Wilson said...

Collaberating as a designer sounds like so much fun! I already have used several of Melanie Brooks Lukacs' works in my designs, and they always sell quickly. I have been making jewelry for the past 16 years, but it has been my full time business for the past three. Some of my design work is featured in the June and August issues of Simply Beads Magazine. Looking forward to the oppertunity of collaberating!

-Suzann Wilson
www.noedisigns.com

Melissa J. Lee said...

This was a wonderful experience. Thank you for inviting me to participate. I look forward to seeing all of the future collaborations!