Thursday, December 16, 2010

On the 7th Day of Christmas - Candy Cane Earrings

This simple and fast earring makes a great last minute gift.  
Who's been nice on your list?

Supplies
2 nickel seed beads 11/0
8" Sterling silver 20 ga wire half-hard

Round nose pliers, flat nose pliers, bench block, ball peen hammer, de-burr tool 
Directions
1. Cut two 4" lengths of wire.

2. Create a loop at one end of the wire with round nose pliers.  Grasp the loop with flat nose pliers and turn to create a spiral

3. String on disk bead and seed bead.

4. At 1 1/2" bend the wire with your flat nose pliers to create the hook. 

5. Strengthen the earwire by hammering it on the bench block.  Hammer more on the spiral and length of wire above the bead, leaving the back of the earwire slightly rounded.

6.  Use the de-burr tool to smooth the edge of the wire.

*Hint: Do step 4 with both wires for a more uniform pair.

10 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Those are great earrings. Thanks for sharing, Heather!

Unknown said...

I have been hammering and spiraling my silver underneath beads for pendants on necklaces. LOVE it for the earrings and such a fast design to make!

Rosanne said...

I love your earring designs.

Rosanne said...

Love your earring designs, these are so festive

TesoriTrovati said...

Sweet! I have just attempted to start making ear wires. I want to do more! This is inspired.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

JeannieK said...

Thank you Heather. These are very pretty. Years ago I started making my own ear wires and it became addictive. One of my favorite tools is my wire rounder.

Vicki said...

Thanks for sharing this. Great design, can't wait to finish them.

KeRobinson said...

Thanks for sharing! Love this design :)

beautifullybrokenme said...

I love these Heather, and will probably be using this idea for some new earrings! :-)

Jen Judd said...

These are super-cute! What a great, quick way to feature some pretty beads!