Saturday, December 25, 2010

Studio Saturday: Merry Christmas + One More Day of Christmas

Merry Christmas to everyone!
One more day of Christmas, I didn't make it in time for the 12 days of Christmas.
I am still trying to incorporate or use recycled items. 
Remember the aluminum Christmas trees growing up? My grandparents had one. Not only aluminum but it spun in its base! When you are little that is a major Ooo and Ahhh + Pretty Shiny.
On a smaller scale using aluminum cans, here is my rendition. 
Aluminum soda cans aren't any thicker than index stock, just a different material that behaves in it's own way. It will rip, fold and get indentations on it the same way as paper but with aluminums reflective nature it's far more noticeable.

Materials:
3 Aluminum Cans, I used Green Sprite Cans
Anodized Aluminum Jump Rings
Glass Beads
24 Gauge Copper wire
18 Gauge Copper Wire
Art Bead
Metal Eyelets, found in the scrapbooking section

Tools:
Sharp Scissors
Mini Anvil
Ball Pein Hammer
1/8" Paper Punch
Eyelet Punch Tool
Round and Chain Nose Pliers
Sharpie Marker
Ruler
Paper Pattern
Tape
Glue Dots
Any other tool that helps!

Directions:
1. Cut the top and bottom off of your cans as straight and cleanly as possible. After cutting so many cans you will find a technique that works for you. You may want to practice on a can that you do not intend on using for this project. 


My method: find the side of the can with the UPC code. Take a knife and carefully push/cut through the can at the top and bottom, making a slit. Holding the top of the can in your left hand put the tip of your scissors into the slit and begin cutting. Holding tightly onto can try to keep your scissors straight and pointing upwards, turning the can as you cut. The tension will be forcing you to cut downwards. After you have successfully cut off the top, cut the can from top to bottom to the other slit. This cut helps to ease the tension of cutting the bottom off. Hold the bottom of the can with your left hand, insert your scissors and start cutting. Even up the edges.


2. Make your pattern. I used a scrap piece of paper. Trace your pattern onto the can and cut out.
3. Roll your half circle can into a cone shape. Tape it in place. At this point you will need to punch your first hole for the eyelet. Measure up from the bottom the can. Calculate the size of your jump rings and space from the edge. Mine measure 1/4" from the bottom. Place your eyelet, using the eyelet tool and hammer strike the eyelet to spread and form. I put in 2 more eyelets above the bottom one and it's a challenge. You can choose to use glue, glue gun or glue dots to hold down the seam. If necessary trim the bottom.
4. Measure on the curve edge where you are going to punch holes for the dangling beads. Mine are 1/4" up and spaced 1/2" apart.  Punch the holes and dap in the eyelets.
5. Measure 6" of 18 gauge copper wire for the hanger. Form loop or curly cue then slide a bead that will prevent the wire from coming out the top and help the aluminum keep it's shape.
6. Place your art bead in the wire on top of the cone. Place a glass bead on top of the art bead.
Helpful hint: I used the eyelets in the large holes of the beads for a more attractive look and keep them from flopping side to side.
7. Bend the wire 90º, then wrap the wire around your round nose pliers to form a loop. Use a paintbrush handle or dowel to form the hook. With your round nose pliers form a loop on the tip of the hook .
8. Cut the top and bottom off of the 2 remaining cans. Flatten out and measure in quarter inch increments  to cut strips for the curly branches. Cut the cans into strips. 
9. Using a popsicle stick or other item you like better, curl the can as you would ribbon. Color side up, place your stick approximately an inch up, scrape the stick quickly to create the curl. This may take a couple times to make the curl. They can be rolled up and adjusted by hand later after they are attached.
10. Starting at the bottom and in between to eyelets, place the first row of curly strips. My glue dots are singles so I cut them in half to glue the top and bottom of the curl strip to the cone base. Place the nexxt row 3/4" to 1" up and between the first row. Repeat for the remainder of the rows.
11. For the 1" dangling beads cut 2.5" of 24 gauge copper wire. Make a curly cue on the end of the wire then bend 90º and slide bead on. Bend wire at top of bead 90º, make a loop with your round nose pliers and wrap wire. 
12. Attach the dangling beads with anodized aluminum jump rings alternating colors.

I promised I would show my Ornament of the year while I was participating in the blog hop. 
I had to abandon the original design. Here is the new design.
Funky Snowman

My question this Studio Saturday is:

"If you could have one bead artist fill up your stocking, who would you pick?"

Leave your answer to the question and you could win 

Thanks to Heather for this giveaway. I want to win it!

Have a wonderful holiday
may you have peace within.

26 comments:

m.e. said...

Right now I'd love a stocking full of scdiva Lynda Moseley's amazing new metal wrapped beads ! She has been ingeniously combining her perfect polymer clay transfer beads with Vintaj elements ! They are soooo Gorgeous!!!! m.e. :)

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

Oh my that is a hard question because I love so many different artists I would say right now Missficklemedia because I don't own any of her pieces, yet!
Shannon C
Happy Holidays!!!!

KeRobinson said...

oh WOW, a Lampworker for sure :)
I would love a whole bowl of them! Ha!
Mine, Mine, all mine, muuhahahahahahah! oohh, is that Grinchy?

Alice said...

We had one of those metal trees growing up. My sister and I would always build up a large amount of static by rubbing our shoes on the carpet and then touching the tree. Some of these old trees even had a tri-colored light wheel that would shine on the spinning tree. So cool!

And wow, you're asking a difficult question about favorite bead artists because there's polymer artists, glass artists, clay artists, etc., and I have so many that I like. I guess I would have to say Heather with HumbleBeads.

Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Malin de Koning said...

That can tree. Pretty! Will have a go myself trying to make one. Will include my children of course, we make lots of new ornaments every year. Next year I think we will have to start selling some, and then give the income to charity.

Art Bead Artist? Well, the first person that comes to mind is Shannon of MissFickleMedia. I already have a LOT of her things in my stash. But I can never get too much of her beautiful things. There is always something new to experience from her too. All different materials and kinds of supplies. I simply LOOOOOVE her things. She is my queen!

There are of course many others that I am super keen on too, but we were asked to pick just ONE, weren't we.

All my best,
Malin

rosebud101 said...

Only one is too difficult! There are so many true artists. I think I'd pick Sharon Driscoll. She's an amazing, but not well known, artist.

Erin S said...

I can only choose one? Boy, you chose a hard question, but I would have to go with Shannon Levart--love her colored patina metal pieces.
Erin S

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful project. Very clever and cute. Next Christmas for sure. If one beader could fill up my stocking....tie between Cindy Gimbrone and Heather at Humblebeads.

SueBeads said...

Stealing the idea, Miss FickleMedia please right now! She is amazing! Thanks for sharing all your ideas with us over the past few weeks!

Yeli said...

Oh! I love Fay Davis-Ferris' work. She's a great glass artist

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [26 Dec 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

stacilouise said...

lisa peters art

Rosanne said...

We certainly don't have to ever put store bought ornaments on our trees, when there are so many great ideas to make your own. I'm gonna make a different ornament every year.
I guess my favorite artist I want to have fill my stocking would be HumbleBeads, but I'm kind of prejudiced that way :^) I really have so many favorites, it would be hard to name them.

TesoriTrovati said...

Aweseome tree! I love that idea!

No fair! I couldn't possibly limit myself to one... but I just mentioned to my sister that if I had to pick just one it would be Heather of Humblebeads for sure. But please don't ever make me pick!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Linda Landig said...

Can I have a tie for first place???? My favorite lampwork artists are the husband/wife duo (Daniel Caracas & Jenelle Aubade) behind Beads and Botanicals. They do amazing glass work! I also love the ceramics of Nancy Schindler at Round Rabbit.

Tari of ClayButtons.com said...

Thanks everyone for your answers! It is tough to pick just one.

Susan said...

OH MY! That aluminum tree is so creative and cute! What a clever idea!
If I were to choose one artist (and this is difficult because there as SO many great ones), it would be Gaea Cannaday! I am IN LOVE with her ceramic beads!
http://www.gaea.cc/

Lucid Moon Studio said...

Love the ornament idea! Very clever. It is tought to pick just one...probably Gardanne Beads though!

Susan Z said...

I love love love Heathre Powers beads--the sea ones, the nature ones and the regular round and swirls ones. Even though Christmas is past Santa could still fill my stocking with beads.

Anonymous said...

Lydia Muell's lampwork beads. In a heartbeat! :)

Promotional Pens said...

Very creative ornaments! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

I love julsbeads

swopemelmel said...

Heather Powers of Humblebeads. I love the title Humblebeads.

Susanm said...

I would love a stocking (even a small one) full of Jennifer Jangles beads - while I certainly admire the picks of other commenters, Jennifer's work is my all time favourite - whimsical, fun and always fresh.

Cynthia said...

The tree ornament is so cute. I might actually try to make it!
Picking one artist is soooo difficult. I guess I'd have to say Earthenwood Studios.

Jody P. said...

Wow, there are so many great bead artists that it really is hard to pick just one... But my first thought was Gillian Soskin of Brilliant Beads / Gillian's Beads